Saturday 22 August 2009

The Severn Bore

Creating our own wave!

When I was a teenager my dad told me all about this natural phenomenon. I never expected to be in the right place at the right time but on Friday evening we (John, myself, Mick & Lynn) were, so we just had to go and see .......didn't we?

I had researched the times etc and it seemed that the best place was at Newnham because it seemed the only chance of seeing it in the light at 20.44 pm.! A 4 **** Bore. Apparently the best you can get is a 5 ***** but there are none of those expexcted this year. I thought we might be 4 lonely little people sitting by the estuary. WRONG!! There were soon hundreds of spectators on both sides of the river!


THE Wave!

We counted 36 surfers, 8 canoeists and 4 lads in a dingey all ready to tackle the bore.


Surfing the wave.

Glad we made the effort to go and see it. Apparently, if they go ahead with the proposed Severn Barrier, it will exist no more.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures!!!!
    I will try really hard to get some pics on Facebook. Posted the flea stuff to Meg she should get it today or tomorrow.
    Have you had your new pump fitted?
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Lots of hassle and £££££@s but it's done. Hope you both fine - dogs too - miss them!

    ReplyDelete